Professional Psychotherapy &
Sven Schild, PhD
Psychological Services for the
Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Community
in San Diego County
Dr. Schild has been working with the Deaf and hard-of-hearing community since 1998. He is currently providing professional short and long-term therapy in American Sign Language (ASL). Dr. Schild is also actively involved in research with the Deaf community. If you have questions about his services, please contact him via e-mail or through this website.
Deafness-related work experiences:
- Private Practice, San Diego, CA (2007 - Present)
- Deaf Community Services, Inc. (DCS), San Diego, CA (2008)
- Bayview Hospital & Mental Health Systems, Chula Vista, CA (2004 - 2005)
- Signs of Life/McAllister Institute (SOL), San Diego, CA (2002 - 2003)
- Johnson County Mental Health Center, Olathe, KS (1998 - 2000)
- Alliant International University, San Diego, CA (2003 – 2007)
Research on Trauma & Deafness
- Deaf Community Services, San Diego, CA (March 2004)
Mexican Sign Language Workshop
- Maple Woods Community College, Kansas City, MO (May 2000)
Deaf Study Certificate
- Park University, Parkville, MO (1999 – 2000)
Research on figurative language processes of deaf individuals
- Maple Woods Community College, Kansas City, MO (1998 – 2000)
American Sign Language and Deaf Culture Studies
- Schild, S. & Dalenberg, C.J. (2016). Information deprivation trauma: Definition, assessment & interventions. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma.
- Schild, S. & Dalenberg, C.J. (2015). Consequences of child and adult sexual trauma among deaf adults. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma, Vol 24(3). pp. 237-256. doi: 10.1080/10926771.2015.1002654.
- Wilson, J., & Schild, S. (2014). Provision of mental health care services to deaf individuals using telehealth. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice. Vol 45(4), pp. 324-331. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0036811
- Schild, S. & Dalenberg, C.J. (2012). Psychoform and somatoform dissociation and PTSD in deaf adults. Journal of Trauma and Dissociation. Vol 13(3), pp. 361-376. doi: 10.1080/15299732.2011.641711.
- Schild, S., & Dalenberg, C. J. (2012). Trauma exposure and traumatic symptoms in deaf adults. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy. Vol 4(1), pp.117-127. doi: 10.1037/a0021578
- Schild, S. (2007). Trauma Symptoms in Deaf Adults. Doctoral dissertation, Alliant International University, San Diego. (UMI AAT 3287794).
- NASMHPD Deaf Mental Health Research Priority Consensus-Planning Conference; Delagate & researcher; Gallaudet University, Washington, DC. (January 2012)
- Trauma Symptoms in Deaf Adults. Presentation given at Student Health & Counseling Services, CSUSM, San Marcos, CA. (November 2007)
- Working with Clients who are Deaf: Clinical and Cultural Considerations. Presentation given at Student Health & Counseling Services, CSUSM, San Marcos, CA. (May 2006)
- The Deaf Person and the Inpatient Setting. Presentation given at Bayview Behavioral Health Campus, Chula Vista, CA. (December 2004)
- Deafness: Basic Information for Health Care Professionals. Presentation given at Alliant International University, San Diego, CA. (April 2004)
- Figurative Language Processing in Deaf People. Poster presented at the 20th Annual Great Plains Students’ Psychology Convention, St. Joseph, MO. (March 2000)
- ADARA - Professionals Networking for Excellence in Service Delivery with Individuals who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing
To view a list of deafness-related resources, please click HERE.
To view a list of deafness-related surveys, please click HERE.